top of page

Game 10: Hoyas Crush Terrapins

On Saturday, November 16, 2019, at The Gardens Ice House in Laurel, MD, the Georgetown Hoya hockey team faced-off against the Terrapins of the University of Maryland.  The Terrapins were fired-up and prepared to avenge their September 13 loss to Georgetown, when the Hoyas rallied from a 4-0 deficit in the third period to shock the Terrapins and secure a 5-4 victory. 


The rematch on Saturday night did not disappoint and was a fitting and exciting sequel to the prior game.  Similar to the September 13 game, the game did not start well for the Hoyas.  Maryland started fast and furious and jumped out to a 2-0 lead by the end of the first period.  Maryland’s two-goal lead held until 4:33 was remaining in the second period.  At the 4:33 mark, with Maryland leading 2-0, the Terrapins began to unravel and all hell broke loose.


It started with an innocuous too-many-men on the ice penalty against Maryland, a minor two-minute penalty that usually does not make tempers flare.  For some unknown reason, however, the Maryland goalie went ballistic and began screaming obscenities at the officials.  As a result, the Maryland goalie was assessed a 10-minute misconduct penalty, which by rule he had to serve in the penalty box.  After much protesting by the goalie and Maryland’s coach, the Terrapins’ goalie skated to the penalty box and Maryland inserted its back-up goalie into the game.  What happened over the next 4 minutes and 33 seconds was nothing short of amazing. 


First, on the power play, the Hoyas won the face-off and advanced the puck into the Maryland zone.  Rob Churchill (Gr, Medford, NJ) and Nick Gallo (Jr, Summit, NJ) quickly moved the puck to Hoya defenseman Matt Gallo (Jr, Summit, NJ).  From the right circle, merely 6 seconds into the power play, Matt greeted the new Maryland goalie with a wicked wrist shot that landed in the top shelf of the net.  The score was now 2-1 in favor of Maryland.    


Merely 23 seconds later, Maryland committed another penalty, a two-minute minor for interference.  The Hoyas were now on their second power play and once again seized the opportunity.  Danny Overcash (Soph, Chevy Chase, MD) passed the puck to Connor Lindquist (Sr, Chanhassen, MN) at the right point.  Connor’s shot toward the net ended up on the stick of George Brennan (Sr, Oak Park, IL) in the slot.  George beat the Maryland goalie with a quick wrist shot to tie the game at 2-2.  There was more to come.


Merely 46 seconds after the Hoyas tied the game at 2-2, Maryland committed yet another penalty, two minutes for slashing.  Once again, the Hoyas pounced.  With 15 seconds remaining in the period, defenseman Matt Gallo found brother Nick Gallo on the left side, and Nick’s wrister found nothing but net.    This gave the Hoyas a 3-2 lead and shocked both the Maryland team and its fans. The Hoyas had  capitalized on Maryland’s misconduct and undisciplined play by scoring 3 consecutive power play goals in the last four minutes of the second period.  As a result, the Hoyas entered the locker room at the second intermission with a one-goal lead. 


The third period was extremely hard-fought and competitive.  Maryland has a fast, talented, and undisciplined team and clearly did not want to lose to the Hoyas for the second time in two months.  Georgetown was determined to play smart and protect and increase its lead.   Two minutes into the third period, Hoya center Adam Cookson (Soph, Medway, MA) passed the puck in the neutral zone to Jack Cavanaugh (Jr, Fairfield, CT).  Jack blew past the Maryland defenders on the left side and scored on a strong and well-placed wrist shot from the left circle to give the Hoyas a two-goal lead at 4-2.  This goal turned out to be the game winner, but there was more drama ahead. 


Maryland answered at the 11:04 mark to cut the Hoya’s lead to 4-3.  Then, with 9:05 remaining in the third period and the Hoyas clinging to a one-goal lead, Georgetown was assessed a 5-minute major penalty for elbowing.  This gave Maryland’s team a big opportunity to tie the game and atone for their past sins.  Both Maryland and Georgetown realized that the game was on the line.  The Hoyas met the challenge.  Maryland was unable to generate any good scoring opportunities during its five-minute power play.   The Hoyas shut down the Terrapins with tenacious skating and fierce forechecking and backchecking.  Every loose puck was pursued with a vengeance.  Shots and passes were blocked with sticks and bodies on the ice.  It was an outstanding and game-saving penalty kill for Georgetown in which every Hoya forward and defenseman contributed, backed by the solid goaltending of Josh Molder (Sr, Apple Valley, MN).  For the game, Josh stopped 31 or 34 shots on goal, including at least three breakaways and several point blank shots.   


Finally, in the last three minutes of the game, the frustrated Terrapins committed yet another penalty, this time for boarding.  Fittingly, the Hoyas once again were lethal on the power play.  With 3:31 remaining, Matt Gallo fired a shot from the point that was redirected behind the net and picked up by Rob Churchill.  Rob moved the puck to the front of the goal and made a quick shot, which was tapped under the goalie’s legs by Nick Gallo.  This gave the Hoyas a 5-3 lead and essentially sealed the victory. 


NEXT GAME:  Friday, November 22, 2019 vs George Washington University.  The game begins at 10:00 pm and will be played at The St. James Sports Complex, located at 6805 Industrial Road, Springfield, VA 22151.

bottom of page